Well-groomed and chip-free nails will always be in vogue, but it can sometimes be tempting to take a short-cut by using non-natural nail treatments.
Founder of pre-eminent Melbourne nail boutique French Pink and nail polish company Miss Frankie (and mother of three), Kara Jeffers, said while the focus is mostly on the overall appearance, a true fashionista knows her nails complete any look, giving her that indefinable edge.
â€œWell groomed nails complete any outfit. There is nothing worse that seeing a gorgeous pair of sling-backs with dry feet and unpolished toes,â€ she said.
â€œA simple but professional-looking manicure or pedicure provides a glossy finish and a longer lasting look.
â€œEven if you have kids in tow,â€ Kara said.
Karaâ€™s top five tips for nail success include:
- Choose a nail colour that will go with all your wardrobe â€“ a good manicure or pedicure will be sure to last the distance and save you precious grooming time, and one good neutral colour really goes the distance;
- If you snag or break a nail, avoid the temptation to operate without the right tools, simply remove any part of the nail that might snag your frock then leave it alone until you can get a proper nail file onto it;
- Invest in a manicure enhancing product such as Essieâ€™s ShineE â€“ apply one coat three days after your manicure for an enhanced flawless finish;
- Ditch long acrylic nails with stark white tips in favour of fresh natural nails, not only do they look better but they are better for you; and
- Apply hand cream and cuticle oil regularly and use suncreeen on your hands â€“ theyâ€™re the first part of you that will show signs of ageing.
French Pink is located at 234 Collins Street Melbourne and offers a range of manicures and pedicures.